Saturday, September 7, 2013

RED

Five Minute Friday

Today's prompt: RED

I see red when  I think of her.
She was my friend .. or I thought she was.
We went to birthday parties together
I stayed over her house
She shared her feelings of inferiority
Living in a rented condo and the rest of us living in houses
I dismissed her worries. No one cared.
We got older, went to middle school
She became two faced.
Spread rumors
Told the other girls I called them a bitch
Had to fend off the fights
The hateful stares
She made fun of my coat.. handed down to me
Never did keep me warm in the bitter winters of Connecticut.
I lost it once, the coat, I mean.
And by the afternoon I found it on the ground in front of my locker
Along with my books and notebooks.
She moved on to a private high school.
Called me and had to tell me she applied to the top notch schools..
I chuckled.
I knew it didn't matter
No matter how educated she thought she was, she was still trash.
She knew it too.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...what a powerful post. Visiting from FMF. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete